I've been putting off making my bedroom quilt with the big star for ages because I wasn't happy with how I made the HSTs. You'd have to click on the pictures to open them up and enlarge to really see what I was talking about but I didn't pay enough attention to the direction of the printed pattern when I stitched my HSTs. Basically I stitched all of my HSTs so the diagonal line was going in the same direction which I thought was perfect. But once you spin the HSTs around in different directions the pattern in the fabric faces all kinds of directions I don't want it to go!
In this picture you can (just about!) see that in all the blocks the pattern faces a completely different direction. Because the pattern is so small I ummed and ahhed about it for ages wondering if I would really notice once the quilt is finished and on my bed but in the end I was fairly certain I'd notice so I have to fix some of those blocks.
So my next issue was that whilst trying to work out what blocks were correct as I put them up on my design wall I was just getting all confused. I was turning blocks this way and that and some were falling off the wall which was not helpful! In the end I decided to start sewing the top in chunks. This way I'd have some parts finished and I'd have a better idea of where I was missing parts.
Here's my first chunk before sewing together. The pattern in all blocks is facing the correct way.
Here it is sewn up. Having larger blocks to move around the design wall makes life a lot easier too.
I sewed as much as I could and then checked to see what HST blocks were missing. I've ended up with six going the wrong way so I'll be unpicking those and restitching the green triangles onto new squares so I get the patterns correct.
It was at this point I realised I'd only sewn half of the lighter green HSTs that are along the edges of the quilt so I have more to do to fix that error.
It doesn't look like much right now does it? Hopefully it'll get better!
No comments:
Post a Comment