Monday, 27 July 2026

Borders YAWN

I was supposed to be flying to sunny Cairns for a couple of nights today but life decided that after the flu that knocked me down I needed a cold.  "Oh it's just a cold!" they say.  JUST a cold?!! I feel like I've been run over by a bus, picked back up and run over again just for good measure.  Still, the good thing about colds is that they only last a few days and that means I should be fighting fit for my retreat this weekend.

So my husband has gone to Cairns alone and I'm at home trying to keep myself busy.  I stitched my quilt into 9 large blocks...


Then sewed blocks together to make three large strips...


Ta da!  All sewn together.  Oh except for the boringders!


Sewing long strips of fabric together bores me silly so I'm not a fan of doing borders.  I don't mind so much if it's just one border but the idiot that designed this quilt wanted three borders.  That's 12 loooooong booooring strips of fabric.  Arghhh!  Whoever she is she needs a stern talking to!  Oh wait...I remember the designer now.  Whatever was I thinking?!

It actually made sense at the time because I wanted the pink/red to feature more in the quilt but still, 12 strips of fabric!!!

I pinned the first border the opposite way to how I normally do it with the thinner border strip underneath the larger fabric.  I would usually put the thinner strip on top as it's easier to then keep the two edges flush.


With the thinner strip on the bottom I could see where the seams intersected so I had a guide to keep my points pointy.


And it worked!  Nice pointy points.  In fact, I was pretty happy with all of the points in this quilt.


I've sewn half of the borders and two more strips are ready waiting for me to find some enthusiasm and sew them on.  I did cut wider strips out of the dark green for the final border but I'm not sure about it now.  I'll finish the pink/red and then put it back on my design wall and audition the fabric.  I hope to finish the top before I go to retreat and then I won't have to think about it while I'm away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Borders YAWN

I was supposed to be flying to sunny Cairns for a couple of nights today but life decided that after the flu that knocked me down I needed a...