Sunday 25 February 2024

Say Cheese!

I started a new quilt!  This one is a belated gift for my friend, Sherryl, for her big 0 birthday back in December.  I knew it was going to be late but I was taking my time hoping somehow I'll be able to deliver it to her in Western Australia in person!  I'm still working on that part!



I bought my fabric at Spotlight.  A few of the fabrics looked like this!  The cutting tables have grooves for the scissors so that they can cut straightish lines so how does this happen??


I'm never a fan of following pattern instructions and I usually look at the picture and do my own thing.  This is a different kind of quilt so I'm following the instructions and I can't say I'm enjoying them very much.  There's nothing wrong with them as far as I can see but I'm spending far too long trying to work them out. 

Anyway, here are my fabrics cut out.  Of course now that I've piled everything on top of each other I have no idea what piece is what and when the pattern asks you to use a specific block I have to measure them all to make sure I have the right one.  I'm an idiot.  


The first thing I made was the binding.  Of course.


The pattern has eight drunkards path blocks.  The instructions wanted me to cut out freezer paper templates, iron them onto the fabric and then cut them out.  I only have a scrap of freezer paper left so I put my white fabric onto the pattern and traced it.  I couldn't do that with the black fabric as it's not see through so when I went to cut them out I paired each white block with a black block and cut them both together.



Then I sewed a drunkards path block very drunkenly.  


Oh dear.  Judy has been lying to me all these years saying how simple drunkards path blocks are!


I realised half my problem is that my hand isn't working properly so I'm unable to manoeuvre the fabric to align the edges.  Nothing that a bit of glue can't fix!

They're a lot better.  I don't think I'll be making a whole quilt of them in a hurry!


I followed the instructions and sewed a couple of pieces together in a line and then I had to sew that strip to another piece of fabric and it didn't fit!  I checked my measurements and they're all correct so I adjusted my seam allowance so that I'm not sewing a scant 1/4 inch seam and it went together.

The only problem is I sewed the strip on upside down.  I can see this little project taking me quite some time to finish at the rate I'm going. I might wait a bit before I book those flights to WA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reorganising my sewing room

Judy and I have separated and are going our own ways.  I begged her to stay but she told me that her quilting frame was of more use at her h...